Streamlined payables process speeds up payments and saves money
Gahanna -- Finance Department
• Project resulted from LeanOhio Boot Camp
• March-April 2013
• Contact: Jennifer Teal · email@example.com
The Accounts Payable process steps and instructions had been passed down from multiple former staff members. Many steps in the process appeared to be redundant or unnecessary in the current technological and staff environment.
Reduce staff time required to process AP and reduce opportunities for manual error
We followed a Lean Routine with SIPOC, process mapping, VA/NVA, TIMUWOOD, impact/control matrix, process control plan, etc.
• Reduced process steps by 30%
• Reduced wait times for local businesses to receive payment for services
• Reduced workload allowed for FT position to be converted to PT
• Direct Cost Savings: $45,000 per year, resulting from reduced Accounts Payable clerk position from full-time to part-time